Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grace Of Our Little Ones

Haisley finally met Aubrey, my college friend's firstborn daughter. I went to the hospital to meet her when she was first born in October and now she's 5 months old. Wow, I can't believe she's already 5 months old! We went to the Rainforest Cafe in Grapevine since that would be a halfway point for us. I thought Haisley would love it like she did the last time we went but, boy was I wrong. Every time the rainforest lit up and the gorillas started roaring and the elephants started moving, she freaked! The only way I got her off my lap was when I fed her lunch.

This day was big for us because I took away the "p-a-c-i" from her. I spell it because that is how I talk about the paci now. If I say the word I might jinx it. She was pretty cranky the whole morning but since she doesn't have a name for it yet she couldn't quite tell me why she was whining, I just knew. Needless to say, she has been incredible without it. She is a paci addict so I thought we were going to have a temper tantrum baby on our hands. Quite the opposite. After the first morning crankiness, she cried for about 20 minutes when I put her down for a nap and slept 2 hours without her paci. Yes, I said TWO hours! She has always slept with a paci since she was practically born so I was shocked! Yesterday she only cried for about 10 minutes when I put her down for a nap. Both nights she has had no trouble going down without it. Wow, who knew this would be a piece of cake? Not I!

On another note, our friends are adopting their first child tomorrow which is so exciting! They can't wait to bring her home and start loving on her. She asked me this week if I have any advice as a first-time mom and I told her she has already taken the same parenting classes I have and the rest is learning as you go. I started thinking about it more and had another thing to add. I've learned through parenting that it is learning as you go but children are so resilient that if you do make a mistake, they forgive you instantly and long for your touch and comfort.

Newborns are the closest physical contact we can have with God on this Earth.
Their grace is humbling.
Thank you God for showing us just a hint of who you are in the eyes of our children.

Us girls! If you want to visit Kathryn's blog, click here.

Kathryn and Aubrey

Ah, Aubrey, you look so much like your Daddy. Our girls looking like their daddies. God sure does know what he's doing!! :)

Haisley loved the "Nemos" or, I mean, fish!

Sweet Aubrey posing for the camera with her mommy.

Haisley was even scared of the frog. I guess he is kinda intimidating ;).

Our little girls pretty in pink. The first of many playdates these two will have!

0 comments: