Has anyone else heard about raising your child "The Chinese Way"? A Chinese mother wrote a book called "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" which explains how she was raised and how she is raising her two children. To give a rough idea of what the book is about, it tells of how they don't allow grades below an A, you must be the #1 student in every subject except gym and drama, no TV or computer games, no participating in school plays, a mandatory two - three hours of practicing the piano or violin a day, no play dates and no sleepovers. If they are not at least two grades ahead of their classmates in math, this is considered unacceptable.
I will be the first to say I want my daughter to become a smart, successful woman who can support herself. But, I was that girl who didn't accept any grade under an A but also enjoyed staring in the school play/musical, watch my favorite TV shows on a daily basis (can I say "Saved By The Bell"?) and hangout with my friends. I am all about creating an environment where learning is a focus but there has to be a middle ground. I have always said I don't want Haisley to be a genius because how many intellectually smart people have you met who have a great personality too? Sorry if that offends anyone, but let's get real here. I want Haisley to excel in more areas than academics because I think a well-rounded kid generates a well-rounded adult. I know the likelihood she becomes the next Michelle Wie is pretty slim but I think learning a sport such as golf is something I wish I knew how to do at a more excellent level so why not give her that opportunity?
So, for now I ponder this. I remember being in the same grade as the token Chinese girl and always getting 2nd place in the school spelling bee to her and shortly after, in middle school, her skyrocketing in academics so much so that she would spend half the day at the high school where she could be challenged instead of with us less fortunate minds in Algebra I. But, did I want to be her? Not really. I enjoyed doing well in school with my As AND getting to spend after school hours doing what I loved, not what I was told I had to do.
Thanks momma for not only giving me opportunities to excel in what I was good at but letting me try extracurricular sports and music I could get better at. I am who I am because you nurtured me and not just disciplined me into who you wanted me to be but who I wanted to become. You let me soar where I could be the best!


2 comments:
i agree with you April! i will not take away my idea of a "childhood" (play dates, sports, sleepovers. etc) to try to guarantee my daughter to be the most intellectual child she can be. She WILL be smart because she will be taught to work hard and have fun. That is my idea of a well rounded child. As a teacher, it was always so hard to work with students who lived and breathed academics. They had no social skill and all sorts of problems "fitting" in with their peers. I had to have more conferences with their parents than I had to with children who were struggling academically.
Kathryn, Thanks for your comment. I never thought of it that way. Just another bit of reassurance we might have something right. Miss you, girl!
Post a Comment