So, I've been getting the same question a lot these days. "How do you like staying home?" I need to be honest here. I remember asking that same question to women and thinking you must just lay around on the couch eating popsicles and going shopping at the drop of a hat and don't forget the luxurious bubble baths they took daily. Well, was I wrong. For me, staying home is a billion times more challenging than working. It's so different than what I expected and I'm still getting used to it.
My morning starts at 7:30 when I get Haisley up to nurse. She is a slow eater and usually nursed 30-45 minutes. Once she's done I'm starving so I get my breakfast while she plays in her play gym or jumperoo, etc. Sometimes I give her a bath (2 or 3 times a week) then it's play time again. She gets tired after being awake for an hour or so and then it's time for her first nap. She's starting to teethe so her naps are less than great. She wakes up after about 30 minutes so I usually have my shower taken, face washed and maybe my teeth brushed before I go in to soothe her and try to get her to sleep which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Then I nurse her again at 10:30/11 and during her nap I get the rest of the way ready unless we have somewhere to be and then I frantically finish getting ready after I've fed her and head out the door. The rest of the day is pretty much the same. Lunch for me consists of what can I make from the fridge and hope I get to eat at the kitchen table and not the car to make it to something on time. So, needless to say, I can't wait for Justin to get home to get a little break. These 30 minute naps she's been taking leaves me with a lot of things halfway done but nothing ever finished. She usually finishes her last feeding around 7:30/8 and is down for the night by 9 or 9:30. I feed her 5 times a day so I average 4 hours of nursing in a day (better than 9-10 hours the first several weeks of birth). So I don't wake up in the middle of the night soaked (yes, this probably sounds gross to those that haven't nursed before), I have to stay up and pump around 10:30/11pm. I do get 8 hours of sleep at night b/c she is a great night sleeper but my day is a non-stop 12/14 hour day.
I am not complaining I just want to try and explain in more detail what a day in the life of a stay-at-home mommy is. She is amazing and I love her more than words can express. I am so blessed that I can stay home with her and Justin can provide financially for us. I wouldn't have it any other way! So, there's my answer. It's wonderful, hard, exciting, exhausting, fun, rewarding, happy, stressful, reassuring, it's fabulous!!!
Sunday, January 18, 2009
How do you like being a stay-at-home mom?
Posted by Justin and April at Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I remember you saying to me "but what do you DO all day?! I would be so bored..."
LOL! It's so true...being a mommy is harder than any corporate job, but isn't it the best? I can say that baby #2 has been SOOOO much more fun b/c I am not adjusting to being home and I can just enjoy the kids more. Long post, but this entry struck a cord with me :)
Freaking out a little bit...but I like hearing the "real" stories of SAHM. Thanks for your honesty!
My working sister-in-law asked me what I do all day long a few days ago. When I ran through a typical day (not nursing anymore), she just looked at me with a blank look. I have to admit, I too was one of those people that thought I would get bored at home. NOT. I have to admit it gets easier as they get older....but it's all worth it in the end. Good luck with your little one, sounds like your really enjoying the time you have together.
Thank you so much for posting this! I don't feel too bad now, that it is almost 2 p.m. and I haven't showered yet today! (Although I must say that today is not a "normal" day...I'm usually ready before lunch time, hehehe!)My house is dirty, I'm hungry, but my baby is clean, fed, dressed in a cute outift and happy! And I wouldn't trade this for anything either. I love being at home with Luke and I am also thankful that Cody can make it possible for us.
Oh April, this was like an excerpt from my life!! Gabriel was/is a short napper too. I get frustrated with people who give you that blank stare when you try to tell them you're super busy staying at home with your baby. They think, "What on earth could you be doing? Aren't you just sitting on the couch, eating BonBons and watching Days of Our Lives?" (Well, I try to sneak in the latter if Gabriel's nap goes over 30 minutes!)
Needless to say, you are not alone. It's not a complaint by any means. I think we're all grateful that we can stay at home with our precious bundles, but is a tiring job. When someone figures out how we can squeeze in the nice, relaxing bubble baths, let me know! :)
Kristina Freeland
Bravo girl! Great summary...this is quite a 'club' to be a part of & those of us who stay home can appreciate every word, especially since now that I have 2 little ones! I am unable to articulate myself in any intelligable way these days...sleep deprivation is cruel! :)
I used to ask the same question and always thought I would be bored staying at home all day. I found out very quickly, like you did, that it is very challenging but also very rewarding staying home. There are days I miss being home all the time, but it also makes the time I am home with the boys more special.
haha it's not all Oprah and bon bons is it? :)
I wouldn't trade it for the world. Yes there are days that I don't shower or even brush my teeth,but getting to spend all day with my son is priceless!!!
Haisley is precious! I loved her rolling over video!
Post a Comment